Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Jacobs Ice Pak vs. MSD BTM?

  1. #21
    Inactive Member BLWN GSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2000
    Posts
    165
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i give props to all my blown brothers....BUT DAMN ...it seems as though everyone thinks i work for Jacobs...LOL..not on your life...have had many problems with most of the dumbasses that work there....but my point....
    i like the ignition....gave me a lot more throttle response....I never said that this is the reason my car is fast...like my boy CODE said....it is EVERYTHING....that is the topic of this thread...from AVANISH....HOW????
    as to BURNT...i know your one of my boys and all...but damn man....you blow up on me saying how yours "would have" been faster etc...Like I say...."Race what you brung....and if you have none...sit on your bum....and i don't want to hear a hummmmm".....no more saying "woulda ..coulda ...shoulda...."
    and if none use the system...why does most of the people that work at JR recommend an ignition....because your putting more pressure in the cylinder and have a chance of not igniting the fuel.....but I could go both sides on this ...i would rather just not take that chance......im tired of this sh!t...just trying to say i liked it and list what i had....sorry if it seemed as though i said the ignition got me to to 222
    ya right...."uhhh duuhhhh i have a stock car and jacobs and I got a 222...."...i KNOW everyone is not that stupid....IM DONE


    ------------------
    1996 GSR 4dr....221 hp with a 6psi JRSC
    Heres how I pay for all my goodies
    POWER

  2. #22
    Inactive Member AvanishV's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 1999
    Posts
    352
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well, obviously the jacobs ignition wasn't the reason for Blwn GSR's impressive power but my question remains; is the increased spark capability of the jacobs (over the BTM) provide greater advantage to an FI engine than the boost retard mechanism of the BTM?

    Even after all these responses, I still don't know which one would be best for my 6psi application.

    ------------------
    1995 Integra GSR
    JR Supercharger (6 psi), HO fuel pump, RS*R Header, Thermal R&D Exhaust, Iceman Intake, Neuspeed Front Tower Bar, Type-R Rear Swaybar, Short Shifter, ST 1.3" drop springs

  3. #23
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think the answer is neither!

    The improved spark from either ignition has not been proven to help.

    The BTM function of the MSD has been proven to help.

    The timing manipulation by the Jacob's has been branded "inappropriate/dangerous for FI" by various people.

    I'd say get the MSD BTM for OEM ignitions or, if you want a safe rev limiter too, get the full MSD 6ABTM, but don't expect anything but a timing master and rev limiter.

    (I believe the BTM and rev limiter can be purchased seperately for less money, but you'll have two boxes to cram under the hood instead of one.)

    Greg

  4. #24
    Inactive Member Type M's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2000
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey guys,
    I am fairly new to this, but if it is correct that the Jacobs could ADVANCE your timing, why would you want that? I thought we needed RETARDING of timing for FI applications? I am not sure on this, but I would hate to have the timing advanced and the big D happen!!!

    Mack

    ------------------
    Beware....Boost is coming!!!

  5. #25
    Inactive Member AvanishV's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 1999
    Posts
    352
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OK, let's talk about another thing. I never quite understood the difference between the BTM and the J&S. Which one will allow me to run a higher ignition timing safely?

    ------------------
    1995 Integra GSR
    JR Supercharger (6 psi), HO fuel pump, RS*R Header, Thermal R&D Exhaust, Iceman Intake, Neuspeed Front Tower Bar, Type-R Rear Swaybar, Short Shifter, ST 1.3" drop springs

  6. #26
    Inactive Member BurntGSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 26th, 2000
    Posts
    393
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just needed to rebutt two jabs at me from BLWNGSR that made me laugh smile.

    1) my car Dyno'ed at 232 uncorreted on one run. IT was done. At 8 PSI and you have 6, so what! smile You COULD have 8 PSI but you don't. I did that run without a few things myself, who cares right? smile.

    2) My car melted because it kicked ass for me longer than you've probably choose to boost. You even said it yourself that you like to keep your foot outta it most of the time. I redlined my shit 90% of the time. The 10% that I didn't was for a bitching girlfriend, cops or moving shit around that was fragile. I take the JRCIVIC methodology, "Drive it like you stole it." It had nothing to do with run what you brung type of BS because I don't front that I could beat you right now. All I said was that I made my 232 without any ignition or cam gears period. It was done, period. Run your car as hard as I did on that same day and I bet you'd do damage too. Hell, you know my next car will hurt bad but we'll save that shit talking for another thread, heheheh. T-77 Turbo, Skyline intercooler on a LS1. Ouch, move out the way baby, daddys coming though. smile smile


  7. #27
    Inactive Member BLWN GSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 2000
    Posts
    165
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    LOL burnt.....we'll see my friend....but until that day...my ch!t is quicker than your NEON...LOL...jk brother...

    and for everone elses information...the jacobs ice pak DOES NOT manipulate ignition while accelerating...it retards it on START ONLY...for easier turnover...THATS IT...
    it INCREASES SPARK when accelerating...THATS IT...i love how someone reads something wrong and the rest just go off of that...

    and of course you don't want something that manipulates the timing....except something like the btm...that adjusts what you want...

    ------------------
    1996 GSR 4dr....221 hp with a 6psi JRSC
    Heres how I pay for all my goodies
    POWER

  8. #28
    Inactive Member lundgren's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 1999
    Posts
    1,436
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Holden: Yes, you've got it, and then add the V-AFC, or other forms of fuel tuning, and do the same!

  9. #29
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The BTM is pro-active. (Reduces timing at set rate per psi boost).

    The J&S is re-active. (Reduces timing when it detects detonation).

    A BTM set properly (most agressive settings that don't result in detonation) will yield max performance, but how do you know where that setting is? You can't hear detonation all the time.

    So... with a BTM and a J&S, you can keep cranking up the settings on the BTM until the J&S steps in, then back off a little on the BTM's settings and sell the J&S!

    Greg

  10. #30
    Inactive Member VTECPWR's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 1999
    Posts
    158
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    It's been a long time since I have posted to this board, but I had to jump in on this one. I have no personal expierence with either ignition system. But I have read 5 different magazine reviews, which included dyno figures. They all showed the MSD system making more power than any other ignition system. Including the Jacob's systems. Now this was not for the ice pac. But I would bet the ice pak is the same as their other systems, just with different packaging

    ------------------
    '98 Black GSR

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •